Bored out of your mind yet due to lockdown? Here are some tips!
- The Longest Journey series (including Dreamfall and Dreamfall: Chapters)
- Syberia 1-3
- Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (20th Anniversary edition)
- Broken Sword series
- Obduction (the latest in the Myst franchise)
- Heaven’s Vault
For those wanting a litle more action on the Playstation 4:
- Assassin’s Creed Origins
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
- Tomb Raider series
- Uncharted series
Or create a virtual life for yourself in The Sims 4!
2. Take daily walks into nature, go running or cycling, do yoga, meditate. There is even ‘ancient Egyptian’ meditation music to be found on YouTube (including didgeridoo and sound scale), so you can’t go wrong there. Or try being a mountain.
- Ancient Egypt: a history in six objects
- BLUE: a symposium exploring aspects of life in ancient Egypt
- Followed by the Yellow Symposium
- Ancient Egypt at Khan Academy
- Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization
- Pyramids of Giza: Ancient Egyptian Art and Archeology
- Wonders of Ancient Egypt
For the kiddies:
- Ancient Egypt by the Children’s University of Manchester
- You Wouldn’t Want To Be An Egyptian Mummy
- Ancient Egypt for Kids
- Build an Egyptian city in Minecraft (inspirational video)
4. Read plague literature. Think of Boccaccio’s The Decameron, Camus’ The Plague or Defoe’s A Journal of the Plague Year. Or, now that you have plenty of time, plough through a classic such as Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina or Marquez’ Love in the Time of Cholera.
5. Choose a comforting soundtrack. Personal favorites:
- Sigur Ros – ()
- Mumford & Sons – Sigh No More
- Rachmaninov’s Piano Concerto No. 3
- Asturias and Recuerdos de la Alhambra
- Oum Kalthoum: Alf Leila We Leila and Enta Omry
Or listen to The History of Egypt Podcast.
6. Cook a new recipe, bake cookies or do crafts. Also fun with kids! For example, crochet your own Egyptian (sorry, it’s only in Dutch).
7. Make your own music and record it. Do a duet by yourself. Or even better, a whole musical ensemble! (This is definitely on my personal list). Not so musical? Do a video playthrough of your favorite game. Start a podcast. Stream your breakfast. Get creative! Check out this Broadway Corona Medley.
9. Download books. We all know where to download our ebooks, right? And how to bypass paywalls, don’t we? If not, inform thyself! Furthermore, there are awesome publishers that offer open access book downloads such as Sidestone Press and the Netherlands Institute for the Near East. Also, you can find a bunch of Egyptology resources on my own website.
10. Be kind to one another. Keep breathing, eating and exercising. Carpe diem!
Take a healthy morning swim in Assassin’s Creed Origins